“Do I need hearing help?” “What are the best devices for me?” These are questions that millions of Americans ask every year. Our professional staff at Audiology & Hearing Aid Solutions will work with you to determine if you have hearing loss and its severity. We’ll discuss your options with you in order to find a solution to fit your needs. We will begin by asking a series of questions to gain an accurate understanding of your hearing challenges. Some of the questions may include:
- Describe your hearing loss. How severe is it? What environments cause you the most difficulty hearing? (We will use speech discrimination to detect which frequencies/pitches are most problematic.)
- Tell us about your lifestyle. Is it a busy one with career, family, community, work, religious practice, dining out and other events? Or is it quiet, spent mostly in your home, with limited interaction with others?
- What are your cosmetic concerns? How important is it to you that others do not see the hearing aids?
- What is your budget for correcting the hearing?
- Do you have any issues with dexterity and handling small items?
- What are your expectations in using devices?
The answers to these questions, along with the results of your in-depth hearing tests, will help us discover how to treat your hearing loss.
If we do decide that hearing aids are the right solution, we will make recommendations on which devices are your best option. There are many factors to consider. High frequency hearing losses need to be fitted with “open, receiver in the canal," strategies. These are called RITE’s or RIC’s. If your hearing loss is across the entire frequency range, then custom products are good choices. These devices are practically invisible.
In general, today’s hearing devices are extremely difficult to detect. The RITE’s and RIC’s mentioned above are almost invisible to see once in place. Even more severe hearing losses can be nicely hidden. If dexterity is a problem, we have products to accommodate you as well.
Busy lifestyles will benefit from higher levels of technology to cut through life’s noisy world. Therefore, in choosing the right device we must also consider:
- How often do you find yourself in environments with disruptive background noise?
- Is Bluetooth capability a benefit to you? It offers wireless connections to cell phones, TVs, MP3 players and other devices.
To learn about the style that may be right for you, visit our hearing aid styles page.
At Audiology & Hearing Aid Solutions, you can trust us not to push the most expensive devices on you. We will suggest the right device to fit your needs, expectations and budget.
You’ll find us in Northern New Jersey, in Clifton, Paramus, Pompton Lakes, Mahwah, Morristown and Pompton Plains. Call to schedule an appointment today!